HGV Training

HGV/LGV training in the UK

What is HGV Training?

There are two categories of Large Goods Vehicle (LGV) licence entitlement and one Medium Goods Vehicle (MGV). Categories C1 (MGV) (7.5 tonnes), C (rigid, class 2) and CE (class 1, artic or drawbar).

Knowing your categories will help determine which training option is best for you. The information below gives more information on age entitlement, vehicle weights and restrictions. For more information please contact your local local independent HGV training provider.

Long gone are the days where you just applied for your provisional lorry licence, took a driving course and passed a practical driving test. Pre 1st Jan 1997 you could even have skipped the category C (class 2) and gone straight onto the C+E (class 1.)

Today, to gain the category C licence and the Initial Driver CPC qualification, a total of 5 exams must be taken and passed.

HGV Training

Category C1 – Age 18

These are vehicles that weigh more than 3.5 tonnes but do not exceed 7.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Weight (G.V.W.). A trailer may be towed as long as it does not exceed 750 KG Gross Vehicle Weight (G.V.W.). If you passed your car test before 1997 you will have gained C1 automatically and be exempt from requiring the Initial Driver CPC qualification.

Category C – Age 18 (Driver CPC)

Category C is required to drive vehicles with a gross weight in excess of 7.5 tonnes yet not exceeding 32 tonnes GVW (construction and use regulations.) Category C, (known formerly as a class 2 or HGV 2) is best described as a rigid vehicle, meaning the cab and trailer are permanently fixed together.

Category CE – Age 18 (Driver CPC)

If you want to drive articulated or drawbar type vehicles, then you must gain category CE licence entitlement. The letter E represents the trailer element. Having cat CE (formerly known as class 1 or HGV 1) means you can drive any type of large goods vehicle. Also Passing the Cat CE practical test will retrospectively give you the B+E and C1+E entitlement.

Gaining C+E HGV entitlement is done via stage testing. Before you can take a class 1 (CE) test you must have already passed the class 2 (Category C) practical test. However new entrants who want category C entitlement are not required to pass the C1 driving test first.

Now you know a little more about LGV licence categories it is time to find out what you need to do to get your HGV licence. There is quite a bit to it. Just gaining class 2 and Driver CPC alones requires a medical, a provisional licence application, passing 3 theory and 2 practical tests. But do not worry as the local training companies listed on this website can manage the entire process for you.